It’s past time to begin your holiday easy orange coffee liqueur. This recipe is the traditional European “44.”
- Wash and dry a juicy orange. Slice almost to the center of the orange about 4-5 times.
- Push in 44 coffee beans into the slits.
- Place the coffee beaned orange into a quart size jar.
- Add 44 sugar cubes or 12 tablespoons of sugar.
- Cover with 1 quart vodka.
- Put on the lid and turn upside down a few times to dissolve the sugar.
- Store for 44 days (see why we’re late making this?) in a cool dark place.
- When done, strain through a paper coffee filter into a decanter or pretty bottle. Discard the orange and coffee beans.
See my other recipe for making cherry and pomegranate liqueurs (2008)!